Sunday, May 2, 2010

Recipie Archives: Davidian's Pilaf

Miss Jackie Pratt who is a student at Westmoor makes this pilaf and after making and tasting it, I recommend it to you.

1/2 cube butter

1/4 cup vermicelli, broken

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup rice

2 cups clear chicken broth

NOTE: The canned chicken broth doesn't quite make the two cups, so just add enough water to complete the measurement.

In a skillet melt half of the butter, add the fourth-cup broken vermicelli and brown over medium-low heat. Add the two cups chicken broth, the cup of rice and the half teaspoon of salt and the rest of the butter. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook for 10 minutes; stir, cover again and cook 10 minutes longer. Twenty minutes total cooking time. Serves 6.

14 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful family recipe! Try it, you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's become one of my signature dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made pilaf in years, but if I used your recipe I'd have to look at one of mine first to determine what a "cube" of butter is. I think I've seen it sold in actual cubes in Europe, but as I remember them, they're on the big side -- in other words, half a cube would be way more than half a stick of U.S. butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mistress Quickly for the updating and clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the recipe would be greatly enhanced if you added a large quantity of chocolate cake. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, doctor. You and your chocolate cake. Now I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are quite welcome Jackie. You are certainly the best cook in the family now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the trick is to not burn those little vermicellis and make sure to use enough cubes of butter to produce cardiac unrest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. vermicelli is already plural. shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I knew that, Miss Quickly, it was just stylistic journalism. Don't you recognize stylistic journalism when you see it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it should have been "them little vermicellis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are making it today, Mother's Day. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, it should have been "them little vermicellis.

    LOL! LOL!

    ReplyDelete